Thursday, July 1, 2010

Trip to Kapshi Village

Last semester we went for a Village trip to place called Kapshi.
Kapshi is situated in the Satara district of Maharashtra. Due to some of sustainability projects accomplished there, its been rated as Model village of India.

The impression of being a role model and proximity to IIT Bombay were some of factors which influenced us to visit this village. By the way, a lot can be learned from any village across length and breath of country . We hired two buses from iitb and were all set for destination.

For way upstream journey, I grabbed a seat next to professor and of-course window seat :)
We were quite lucky to have an Alumni from IITb with us ~ a iitian, than a degree from MIT and job in silicon valley.

This was my 1st trip more south of India than Mumbai. Pune-Mumbai highway is really superb. I wonder how they constructed that long tunnels. We had breakfast at some place between pune-mumbai. After travelling for around 6 hours, we reached Kapshi by 1 in noon.

At first, villagers were looking as if some Aleins have landed from top. Marathi is the medium of tongue in villages and most of us were just slaves of English and our Hindi. Some villagers were comfortable with Hindi. As India is so diverse a place .. language barrier will always exit.

Village was clean. I had a different default feeling in my brain, but things were exactly opposite. I do realized that living in cities how much as we depended on villages. We .. Mumbaikars enjoys at the cost of these villages. How complex is life being in metros and how simple and sweat its there in villages.

We decided to have our lunch in the shades of an old big tree. To get more feel of place, we decided to grab a place near buffalo's rest place. Village was remote with not even any mobile network and urban luxuries. I was afraid if something went wrong, it may distrupt the entire Trip. Something did happened. We got over lunch spoiled. Nothing was more surprising than this. Anyway, I was unanswerable to many. All we had, was a first aid box if some one went ill. Else we can enjoy Emle and dozen other arbit fruits and seeds across the village. Emle ka buta, berika ped !

Vaibhav, one of villagers guided us at Kapshi. He told of stories that has flown the life of villages over years. Stories of flood ! Stories of drought ! Stories of pain ! Stories of joy !
Villagers are quite friendly people. I wonder still such a level of humanity exists. We learned how villagers constructed dams and other stuff without any government help. How they are taking a step ahead for becoming sustainable on there own.

Perhaps, I can't recall many of things right now. Being 180 degree away on this lovely planet, still the memories of kapshi flashes every now and than in my mind.

The village was also linked much with Art of Living !. Perhaps, I don't have very much faith on this foundation, neither I do have any harsh feelings too. I am bit unclear for the role of Art of Living in development of village. I don't wanna comment any more on it now.

It was quite sunny day. Hot Sun ! Empty stomach's ! .. Well how can I explain reactions?



Villagers arranged for our dinner. At last around 9 pm, the simple and sweat dishes which are used on everyday basis was served to us. At least for me, it was very different from normal stuff we have in hostels. Frankly, I even could not eat much. Well I am quite odd. Really, food was good and many enjoyed the same.

After we filled our stomach, the villagers organised a satsang programme. Most of us were damn tired. Satsang was a means of brings people together and connecting with villagers and their culture. To manage a big sleeping place of 100 was quite difficult. Every villager volunteered to arrange night stay of 2-3 students. This way the bond of love and affection was strengthened. I wonder how many mumbaikars will volunteer to help some poor villager if he wishes for a Mumbai Trip.

The sky was clear as near been in metro's. I was much out of energy and vomited. It was damn cold at night. To add some fun - there is a Apple Story behind the scene ! If some one want to know ..he/she can ping me
I don't wanna write that ... it was one of some stupid things I ever did in life .. perhaps there are a lot here in Canada too. Do you know how it feels like to eat a apple from a girl's stolen/misplaced bag !!

Next day !!!!!!

Breakfast and stories from village people. This time we went miles in the fields of India. We were told that Art of Living was responsible for prosperity of this village. Well, I see things in different lights. Anyway, I am not much social person. It was nice to see no signs of caste system. Perhaps 1-2 day trip is much less to know the inside stories. I am a straight forward person and is not satisfied with what seems fulfilling to most others.

Trip was Okay. But I wonder what finally the purpose behind was. We did nothing great in village. Perhaps we would have happily stayed in college for the weekend, enjoyed a couple of movies or circled Powai Lake. At Kapshi, we were just some burden on village people. It would have been quite difficult for an average villager to afford our dinner, breakfast and night accommodation. All we did in return was a lump-sum contribution of around ~ 10k. I wonder how much of that amount will actually result in changing life of an ordinary villager.

I don't feel this is only expected out of people publicly labeled "Best Brains of the country”. Hundred people put together can't do anything worth for a village in 2 days!

Well many questions pops up my mind.

May be there was no other choice. But what else better could have we done ... I don't have an answer... may be donated a computer for village or what around a washing machine or music player!

I would appreciate if someone can tell me what all I should do, if i am been to a village again. I can't go farming. Even if I start, I will only end up causing chaos in some fields. Learning Indian culture, lifestyle.. blah blah always counts.... but just these can't convenience me.

On our journey back, I discussed these unanswered questions to one of my friend. All I heard were low sounds. That friend perhaps even got conditioned to never visit a village again. That got reflected in final feedback. Writes "We saw a lot and learnt a lot. But I still don't understand what I am going to do with this knowledge. For most of us this was just a joy trip. It is not like we are even going to go back and help either Kapshi or any other village to develop further. I feel that instead of spending so much money in going so far away and then doing nothing, it would be better if we did something to help people in or near Mumbai. There are many slums within Mumbai. The money could be better spent by helping these people. Also,if we do have to go far away, then instead of taking so many students,it would be better to take a few and use the remaining money to make some solid contribution to the village."

I am out of words now.

There were many plus points for visit too.

Abhi ke liye itna hi .... will write more in tym to come !

4 comments:

  1. hahahaha..obsession to 'miles' still continues!! and apple and a girl thing sounds interesting..I must hear to that. Blog is good..atleast u can remember your good days back when you read it 5 odd years later..good one!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks all for reading.
    @Sp: Still have to travel miles more. Will write more in days to come ..best part is still missing !

    ReplyDelete