Monday, December 20, 2010

Udaipur

I belong to a place called Udaipur. Quite famous as a tourist attraction and also popularly know as City of Lake. This year I was fortunately enough to spend time and travel in around a dozen metros. Finally after so much trill, I decided to walk to my hometown and just rest for a while. It's December of 2010.

To my surprises, before my eyes Udaipur seemed to have substantially changed. Yes, it was nice to find lakes full. From north to south, filled till brim. I wonder it was 5 years back lakes were this noisy. On my way home, companion to my railway compartment was a young couple (tourist) heading to explore my hometown. They planed to crawl around from FS to Nathdwara. I always wish to find some foreigners near my seat, but was unlucky this time.

Here in Udaipur, roads are good. Quite shorter are distances. Used to Mumbai traffic, I appreciate rarely crowded streets of Udaipur. But sooner I smell this place is gonna become hell. Traffic rules seldom followed. Not a single Halmet head can be found. School kids fly at all speeds. They fear neither of death nor pain. Parents supply best of best bikes. Wow !

Sky had no spark of constellations. Generally filled with noise crackers and worst chorus of Baraats. Roads filled with crazy people dancing surrounded by small kids holding heavy lanterns. I don't know what has happened to people here, but I see nothing lesser then madness of ancient wars among various dynasties. I see completely stupid picture of Indian Wedding custom, now followed. This is too much. This is Sick.

My friends go and enjoy free dinners 10 times in a month. Perhaps, you can always find a lighted garden just around a kilometer range. Buy nice formals and 1 rupee blank envelope before you jump in for free dinners. Just some patience is needed to get hot Dosa and cold Icecream, small hungry mosquitoes will always wave their plates in madness and torchure the chef. Don't forget Coffee - Its winter time now. From town Hall Pava Wala to Hotel Nataraj, all have small kids to wash utensils.

Also, worst is to see small kids slaved to work in houses. I am sorry, but was even shocked to see one at my relatives place and one at some nearby neighour. Newspapers are only busy with Give up news.

"I see the world being slowly transformed into a wilderness. I feel the sufferings of millions and yet when I look up the sky I somehow feel that everything will change for the better." - Anne Frank

This time home was a bit different experience. V-mart, Bigbazar, narrow market streets, Anand plaza, Kitchen kraft, Berger Paints, Sanitary shop, Electrical wala, Lala Misthan Bhandar, A-one School, Madhushree Saare, Labour Market, Nehru Garden, Gulla Baagh Zoo, Cement Wala, Tiles Wala aur kya kya. Its nice to interact with a wide spectrum of people. Shopping Culture seemed quite well. May be staff at Bigbazar, Vmart etc needs a better training. Thela Wala's seems very professional.

I went to this Town Hall Market; wanted to buy a jacket. How much ? Rs 600, Sir. I said 400. Those shopkeepers will never tell you No. Sir, this jacket is brand class and worth its value. I said - I don't want to pay 600, give me a deal. Okay, I am packing for 400. I wonder how much market is overpriced.

City seems still very peaceful. Unlike Mumbai, Local people do care here for each other.

Gaurav

1 comment:

  1. Hi Gaurav..It was worth reading your blog. I've never been to Udaipur, but planning to visit Soon. As there are lots of places to visit in Udaipur, especially lakes offering breathtaking views :)

    ReplyDelete